Easiest Salt-and-Pepper Turkey
2 carrots, halved
2 celery ribs, halved
1 onion, quartered
1 12-lb. turkey, giblets discarded
4 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place carrots, celery, onion, and 2 cups water in a roasting pan; top with a roasting rack.
- Loosen skin on turkey breasts, starting at the neck, and rub butter under skin. Season turkey (including the cavity) with 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper; place on the roasting rack. Tie legs together with kitchen twine and tuck wings under.
- Roast, basting every 30 minutes and tenting with foil if skin becomes too dark, until the internal temperature (in the thickest par of the thigh) reaches 165 degrees F, 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Gently tilt turkey to release juice from cavity into the pan. Transfer turkey to a cutting board; rest for at least 30 minutes before carving.
- Scrape up brown bits from bottom of the pan and transfer, along with vegetables and transfer, along with vegetables and pan juices, to a large, straight-sided skillet; reserve.
TOTAL TIME: 3:40
SERVES: 8 (with leftovers)