6. Nearly every new song calls back to an old one.
- “Can You Imagine That?” transports the Banks children from a bathtub to an impressive underwater realm to make a mundane activity fun, just like “A Spoonful of Sugar.”
- “A Cover is Not the Book” is a fun, fast-paced number featuring Mary Poppins and Jack, much like “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious” with Bert. Bonus: look out for a Hamiltonian rap from Jack.
- “Turning Turtle” replaces “I Love to Laugh.” It’s a wacky number featuring Meryl Streep that presumably takes place in the same alley where Uncle Albert (Ed Wynn) lived – and couldn’t stop laughing.
- “Trip a Little Light Fantastic” mirrors “Step in Time,” down to its rooftops-at-twilight setting and long dance routine full of wild stunts and silhouettes.
- “Nowhere to Go But Up” is the triumphant finale in the park, just as optimistic and cheery as “Let’s Go Fly a Kite.”
Emily Blunt’s Mary Poppins is still practically perfect in every way.